Supervision Received: Mortgage Sales Director
Supervision Exercised: None
FLSA: Full-time, Salary plus Commission
The Mortgage Specialist is responsible for meeting with customers to discuss mortgage options and loan products, take applications and maintain customer relationships, solicit customers and relators for mortgage loans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
- Take loan applications and analyze customer income and debt to pre-qualify them for the loan requested.
- Collect financial information (tax returns, bank statements, etc.) and other related documents that are part of the application process.
- Maintain regular contact with the customer and realtor between application and closing to apprise them of the status of the application and gather any additional items needed.
- Discuss and disclose the interest rate and options to lock in interest rate.
- Attend closing to ensure the customer satisfaction.
- Work with the Relationship Officers to ensure correct applications are taken and placed with the appropriate investor.
- Work with the Relationship Officers to ensure the correct information is collected and the correct documents are signed.
- Assist the Relationship Officer in marketing and obtaining mortgage leads as well as understanding the rate sheet and identifying potential customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, in particular Word and Excel; Bank information systems; and Internet research when appropriate.
- Knowledgeable concerning FHA, VA, USDA and Conventional lending.
- Ability to read and interpret industry information such as customer financial statements, credit reports and tax returns.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with customers.
- Ability to work with a team and members of other departments.
- Ability to work with little direct supervision in carrying out the tasks and responsibilities assigned.
- Ability to communicate orally to others to convey information effectively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to operate standard business equipment: fax, copiers, printers, computers, etc.
- Ability to handle sensitive documents or other confidential information.
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar including the ability to comprehend written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Ability to manage time and be efficient and effective in the completion of assignments.
- Ability to remain focused and organized while managing high volume workload.
- Ability to research and resolve problems and/or discrepancies in work; understanding when necessary to seek management assistance.
Physical Demands and Abilities
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking and writing so others will be able to understand.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to the specific role or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to demonstrate manual dexterity through use of typing on a keyboard, sorting through paperwork, reaching and grabbing objects.
- Ability to stand, bend, and lift up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to operate standard business equipment such as a fax, computer, printer, copier, etc.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for several hours.
- Ability to travel to other locations as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or the equivalency. Associate’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or the equivalent is preferred.
- Three (3) years’ experience in mortgage lending with an active NMLS.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of lending products and services to include FHA, VA, USDA and Conventional lending.
- Fiserv IDM/Mortgage experience desired.
- May be required to attend activities outside the bank to stay abreast of new developments, best practices, civic activities, and statutory and regulatory changes.
- Pursuant to the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, all employees must remain drug free and alcohol free when reporting to work and while engaged in any work related activities.
- Must comply with all Bank Secrecy Act rules, regulations and requirements.
This document and the statements contained within it are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.